It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Films & telly
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:30 pm 

We used to have a thread for this sort of thing but it's disappeared. Probably me when I was deleting all the bot shite while under the influence :whistle:

I'm slightly late on this I guess *cough*. I've just finished watching Band of Brothers - blimey, spectacularly good. I'm not especially a fan of Spielberg either, or Hanks the actor. But this is one of the best tv series I've ever seen. Visuals aren't my first focus (acting, scripts are) but you can't help but admire the look of this, scene after scene after scene.

Some of the performances are brilliant as well. Frank Lucas as Guarnere, Neil McDonough as Buck Compton, Damien Lewis as Winters, Matthew Settle as Spiers (had to google three of them) are the ones I'd single out as top notch but really I can't think of any (bar Schwimmer) who were unconvincing. Another thing it does really well is getting the balance between action and characterisation spot on, in fact integrating them so well. Too many films and tv shows get boring by going OTT with 'action' sequences and special effects, see the Star Trek remakes, which could have been so much better.

I gather it got some stick for being an 'insult' to the Brit contribution to the war. That line of attack is so fucking shit. I know it's selling itself as fact-based but it's still drama first, not history. I've watched and enjoyed numerous old British and other war films that were absurdly biased, some (made during wartime) clear propaganda films, some made a bit later just to make us Brits feel better about ourselves.

Anyway thoroughly enjoyed this, I'll have a go at The Pacific one next.

Post subject: Re: Films & telly
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:31 pm 
Site Admin

Both are good Steers.

I actually don't like Schwimmer as an actor at all. Possibly because I hate Friends with a passion.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:01 am 

I remember when Friends first aired on C4. 4's output in those days was generally very good so I thought it might be decent. How wrong I was lmao :doh:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:29 pm 

Four episodes into The Pacific - it's decent but not nearly as good as Band of Brothers so far. Part of it I think is that I know next to nowt about the history of the war in the Pacific, whereas the European theatre feels much more familiar. But it's more than just that. One irritation is how difficult it is at times to make out what the actors are fucking saying. I am looking forward to The Mighty Eighth though, if that's what the air force one ends up being called.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:45 pm 
Site Admin

I watched Hacksaw Ridge last night - similar sort of thing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:14 pm 

Can't stand Mel Gibson.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:25 am 
Site Admin

Are you a dirty Jew?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]