It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Everything's fair game, don't dish it if you can't take it, and try not to be too much of an idiot. Thanks.

Page 4 of 4 [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Films & Telly thread (formerly Will Ferrell etc)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:54 pm 
Site Admin

Aye, picked it up yesterday - cheers. Will start it this week I reckon.

Also, the Gianni Versace assassination thing is a good series. Probably get them all on iPlayer, 7 eps so far. It's season 2 of American Crime thingy, first season was People vs OJ Simpson which was also raker.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:59 pm 

Good - I don't entirely trust Royal Mail, due to knowing a couple of blokes who work for them lmao Anyway, I found TWY wasn't something I wanted to 'binge-watch' as they call it. Just stuck it on every now and again when I fancied, took me well over a year I think. It was worth the re-watch though definitely. Likewise with Party of Five which is somewhat similar in style though not in content. Really liked that show. Also likewise with this Friday Night Lights I'm on currently. Nothing ground-breaking or owt but a canny watch.

Any of you ever watch This Life by the way? Joined my other half in re-watching this recently and I enjoyed it just as much this time round. Shame it was only two series (plus a shit 'reunion' thing years later).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:45 pm 

Just started The Man in the High Castle. I quite like it I think, based on the first couple. I read the novel it's based on about 30 years ago and it wasn't bad at all as far as I recall, although I remember thinking it was too America-centric to fully do justice to an interesting premise. But anyway, the tv version seems pretty well done so far.

Meanwhile I've kept on with Friday Night Lights, just finished the first series. It's really very watchable tv in its way and I'm sure I'll finish it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:43 pm 
Site Admin

I found MitHC too boring, gave up after 2-3 eps.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:56 am 

Aye I chucked it after the 1st series. Could have been good, but isn't. Unengaging and uninspired.

Well into S2 of Friday Night Lights now Obi. It is a bit cheesy like, sentimental even at times. But I'm still thoroughly enjoying it. I'll call it my tv folly Smoke

Riggins and Landry are mint Smoke Aimee Teegarden in this is what in old money we used to call pure jailbait, all lip gloss, tits, sparkling teeth and fluttery eyelashes lmao But she's ridiculously easy on the eye. Hopefully no loon from Mumsnet looks at this and starts an internet campaign to have me hung, drawn and quartered for being a wrong 'un :whistle:

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:00 pm 

I imagine you'll like This is Us too, Randal is cool as fuck Smoke

Some cracking blart in FNL, guessing Smash hasn't entered yet? Some great characters in it, Riggins was my favourite at the start too.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:25 pm 

Oh aye Smash is in it, he's there from the start isn't he? He's another I like and the actor is a perfect fit. Characters are mostly 'types' but you'd expect that and their stories seem to be developing well enough. The casting is really good actually and there's lots of solid acting.

I see This is Us is free on Prime so I'll give it a look later on.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:53 pm 

Smash appears to be a cunt to start with, his friendship with Matt is when you start to see the real character if I remember rightly...

Think you'll like Randal's Dad in TIU.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:54 pm 

Money heist , Netflix, Spanish ,was great

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:54 am 
Site Admin

MagFinnPie wrote:
Money heist , Netflix, Spanish ,was great

Someone else recommended that - it's in the queue. Currently trying Mindhunter.

The Gringo documentary about McAfee is an interesting watch for a spare hour.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:33 am 

Finished FNL. Really easy-to-watch, likeable and engrossing telly show. You could pick the odd hole in it but there's far more good than not so good and overall I loved it. S2 is the weakest (partly due to a writers' strike), S1, S3 & S4 are all strong, S5 starts a bit flat maybe but really picks up and the finale is pitch perfect. Definitely a 'feelgood' show but it does also get its hands dirty when need be.

In the end Coach was my favourite character. Kyle Chandler's lead performance as the heart-on-sleeve, passionate, all-American good-guy is thoroughly convincing and has a real authenticity about it. Loads of other characters and performances I liked as well though.

It is occasionally sentimental and will give you that feeling you've, er, got something in your eye that us blokes aren't supposed to get :whistle: Being old, I can admit these things Smoke I usually dislike this in drama but I forgive FNL because a) it's not overdone and b) these moments usually work quite well in this show I think.

Cheers for the shout Obi :hi5: I'm mid-way through putting it on my hard drive by the way so if you want it just giz a shout.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:30 am 

So many likeable characters in it, but agree he was probably my overall favourite too, or Riggins, Smash, Landry, Matt...

Any one seen Evil Genius yet?

Wonder if my kids will ever get TV? Zero interest, YouTubers rule the World.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:22 am 

Evil Genius looks worth a watch.

1 Malooga 4 Lugas wrote:
Riggins, Smash, Landry, Matt...

Aye they're all likeable and have good stories, Saracen's especially. What about the lasses? I think Tyra is quality, actress does it really well. And Mrs Coach is perfect as the wife/'mom' at the centre of everything.

Some good comedy characters as well. Landry obviously, Billy Riggins and Herc (Street's room-mate). Buddy is also unintentionally hilarious at times.

Had a watch of the film version the other day as well. I though it was shite.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:50 am 

There weren't many characters that didn't have depth and something to like about them, which is unusual, helps that all the ladies are hellish too like Smoke

From watching that the cast were in everything I seemed to watch, always hard when you remember them as the Coach/Wife, Riggins, Smash, Vince, Landry...they could play Freddy Krueger and I'd be like, had a difficult childhood :snooty:

Didn't bother with the movie thank fuck.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:24 pm 

To revive this, recent ones watched:

Narcos. Not bad and I watched it through. Passable telly but I think it could have been done better like.

Travelers. Tosh, but watchable tosh - first series wasn't bad, good enough to keep me watching at any rate. Second was much better I thought. I've always been a sucker for sci-fi though so I might be overrating it.

Breaking Bad. Which everybody else has probably already seen :whistle: Not that far into it but I'm really enjoying it so far. Lead actor is very good.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:49 pm 

Started Breaking Bad too, soon into S5 (missed some episodes when it aired and never started again since now)
It's watchable yes, some boring episodes but overall great

Timeless might get a vote from here, worth seeing, a bit cheesy at times, but concept is great, fiction & history and some conspiracies

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:34 am 

Narcos is good, but the way its made you kind of root for Escobar, which is weird.

El Chapo one on Netflix is good too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:11 am 

It does, in the earlier parts at any rate. Not so much when he goes all indiscriminately blitzkrieg later on.

I thought it was alright, and I really liked Pedro Pascal's performance as Pena, also whoever it was who played Pacho was good.

Into S4 of Breaking Bad, I think it's excellent. The writer is very obviously a big fan of The Sopranos. It draws a lot from The Sopranos stylistically and in fact there's a couple of obvious nods in its direction. I'll do Better Call Saul straight after which also looks promising.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:20 am 

fuck, more to watch, El Chapo & Saul lmao

stuck watching that Steer Ben Arfa goal on repeat, ffs pardew..

1 Malooga 4 Lugas wrote:
Wonder if my kids will ever get TV? Zero interest, YouTubers rule the World.

yup, tv only for Netflix & Youtube etc lmao

dont know was it a Finnish study or wider, but there was a report/news that kids dont know to handle a pen in school/kindergarden, theyve bee so accustomed to pads & phones, so some people dont use pens anymore :character-oldtimer:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:53 am 

My kids are all good writers and love drawing, still don't watch tv though.

Son is into subbuteo and writes shitloads of teams out, cuts them up and makes proper tournaments, knows how to work out the schedules and how many teams are needed so works on his maths too Smoke

Better call Saul is funny like.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:44 am 

1 Malooga 4 Lugas wrote:
My kids are all good writers and love drawing, still don't watch tv though.

Son is into subbuteo and writes shitloads of teams out, cuts them up and makes proper tournaments, knows how to work out the schedules and how many teams are needed so works on his maths too Smoke

Better call Saul is funny like.

That's mint, proper old school Smoke I didn't know kids still played subbuteo lmao

I don't know about the pens thing ^^ but I do know basic numeracy is a problem for a lot of young people. When I take on till lasses I check to see if they can work out unaided how much change to give people - loads can't do that or even get close. Simple mental arithmetic we all learned as young kids, it's fucking shocking.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:36 pm 

Guardian article, the pen thing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:14 am 

Finished Breaking Bad a little while ago. Great show, definitely a cut above most of these recent telly dramas. Probably over-hyped but then that seems to be true of every other show that turns up these days. In fact what is it with all this fanatical clamouring on review sites and messageboards etc to proclaim a telly show you like as the bestest ever-est of all time nee addies on? Bizarre.

I've also caught up with Better Call Saul. Like it a lot but I kind of wish I'd waited till the end of this last series before I started it (I didn't notice it was currently running till I hit S4 lmao :doh: ). Anyway I'll save the last however many to watch over a couple of nights later on. Going to watch Rome next.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:08 pm 

Same thing here, BB & Saul watched, watched Last Kingdom S2 and netflix recommended similar style La catedral del mar, which was good just 8 episodes.. continuing with same genre with Frontier now..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:09 am 

The fact it's in Spanish puts me off La Catedral del Mar. Surely everyone knows by now that English is the universal language of the screen :confusion-shrug:

Rome is canny Finny. I've just done the first series - it's lavish, very polished and expensive-looking, top notch dialogue and acting as well (although I'm not that fond of Ciaran Hinds who plays Caesar). Plus all the Romans have the decency to speak English Smoke

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:00 am 

lmao lmao oh do fuck off, we Finns read subtitles anyway, but Spanish/Italian/French sound so good Smoke

the Rome seems to be on HBO ?

in Netflix theres this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Empire_(TV_series)

with Sean Bean that you love Smoke lmao :dance:

Started Salem in Netflix now, seemed better few first episodes than Frontier..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:33 am 

Romance languages, meh huckle Geordie shits all owa that poncey shite Smoke I think I prefer German actually but since I only know about two dozen words I can't be sure.

I bought a used copy of Rome on dvd as it had lapsed on Netflix, bit annoying as it was available until recently. Worth the tenner mind. Might give Salem a look sometime but I've got a few I fancy watching first - Spartacus, This is Us, Halt and Catch Fire and a few others.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:49 am 

Rome was very, very good. Second not as good as the most impressive first but that's mainly due to them finding out it was being cancelled half-way through. I gather HBO acknowledge it was a mistake to cancel this in hindsight. Should have got at least four series. Someone should re-boot this, it's not like they'd be short of material to work with.

Spartacus on the other hand is fucking shit. I see what Scott means about soft porn and gore-fest like lmao But as far as I'm concerned it's laughably bad, horribly stylised, lowest common-denominator stuff. I lasted two episodes.

I've since started Deadwood. Not sure what I make of it yet but it's growing on me.

Edit: I looked back and see Scott has described Spartacus as 'brilliant' lmao Different strokes etc I suppose. But were you usually stoned when you watched this? :whistle: Smoke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:43 pm 

Steeronymus Gerkin wrote:
Spartacus on the other hand is fucking shit. I see what Scott means about soft porn and gore-fest like lmao But as far as I'm concerned it's laughably bad, horribly stylised, lowest common-denominator stuff. I lasted two episodes.

I've since started Deadwood. Not sure what I make of it yet but it's growing on me.

Edit: I looked back and see Scott has described Spartacus as 'brilliant' lmao Different strokes etc I suppose. But were you usually stoned when you watched this? :whistle: Smoke

I'm usually stoned when watching anything so probably lmao

Give it more of a chance, the overall style is similar to 300 which I hated on first watching. But once I got used to that I loved it.

Mind you, Deadwood is obviously brilliant straight off so maybe there's something wrong with you :angry-nono:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:41 pm 

ScottR wrote:
I'm usually stoned when watching anything so probably lmao

lmao I'm similar but beer only for me. Quite often if I watch three episodes of a show in one night, I have to re-watch the last of them next time. Value for money Smoke

Couldn't agree more on Deadwood now, it's fucking excellent. Best I've seen Macshane in anything and Olyphant who is new to me is also class. Thinking about it there's not a performance I've not enjoyed so far, a sign it's well-directed and cast I suppose (it obviously is). What elevates it way above the ordinary though, for me at any rate, is the dialogue. It's spectacularly good, all the time. Punctuating nineteenth century idiom with contemporary cursing could have been a mess but instead it's brilliantly done and I've marveled at the quality of the phrasemaking time and again. Very funny at times as well. I'm a couple into S2 now and I cocksucking-well love it Smoke

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:10 am 

Finished Deadwood. Loved it - thoroughly entertaining, fantastic dialogue, well-acted, intelligent and funny.

Love the way it revels in its licence to piss all over 'pc' sensitivities from start to finish. Blacks, orientals, women, the disabled ("every step a fuckin adventure" :laughing-rolling: ) - no quarter given when it comes to terminology. Probably wouldn't get made now given how fucking precious so many people seem to be about the commission of 'isms' regardless of context. For all its 'offensive' language though, it's a show with its heart in the right place. An absolute gem Smoke

I'll try Justified next I think.

Page 4 of 4 [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4