It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Everything's fair game, don't dish it if you can't take it, and try not to be too much of an idiot. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: 2017/18 Season
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:24 pm 

1 Malooga 4 Lugas wrote:
Ah that's your personal record Smoke

If you'd flew in last night Perez or Gayle might have scored...

Norwich -89 & Levadia Tallinn in uefa/inter2bob whatever year.. :banana-rock:

Imagine where we might have ended up with proper striker ( or free Mitro lmao style striker) could have challenged Burnley or at least Everton & Leicester (lost chocolate vs neighbour kid who is Leicester Glory hunter LMAO banghead )
Summer coming and Ashley oot pretty please :violin: :bow-blue:

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:47 pm 
Site Admin

Went to 5 away games this year (thanks to Ramdogg for that):

Southampton - draw
Chelsea - lost
Arsenal - lost
Watford - lost
Spurs - lost

I realised the other day it's getting very easy to forget what games I've been to all time, so trying to put together a spreadsheet of it all...my away record is fucking atrocious I'm sure of it. Even in the Champ season, games I went to we played shite...Ipswich away was memorably horrific.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:08 pm 
Site Admin

Some craic about this season then, since it's basically over.

I've found it refreshing to watch a team that is set up with such specific and organised game plans, and watching players progress in those roles as the season has gone on. Diame is a prime example. He's not an amazing athlete or technical player, but he's grown in the role Rafa has made for him. Ultimately we have a team of honest triers and when there's no money, it's refreshing to have it.

I don't particularly rate Perez, he lacks that bit of skill that can set up a goal here and there, but he works his socks off and basically is the player that sums up NUFC under Ashley/Rafa. I have no issue going to places like Wembley and giving it our all but losing. We should have won last night - Murphy should have scored, so should Perez. It comes down to lack of quality. Spurs have it, one chance, Kane, that's the game. Read earlier that we've lost 1-0 10 times this year, so it's slim margins.

What I find frustrating, is that this is as good as it gets now, unless there is a commitment to spend. I would say finishing 10th is the best we can do under Rafa without expenditure. We have the framework now, we need to add the quality. It starts up front, Gayle isn't good enough for me. I would actually say we need two strikers, probably both in the 15m+ bracket. I also think we need competition for Perez, someone who can really create something. We can't rely on Shelvey's passing and need more options to create goals. Defense wise I think we're fine, Dubravka looks like he can be one of the best keepers in the league next year.

Hoping that Fulham go up, because I'd expect one of their priorities will be securing Mitrovic. In the form he's in (and if he has a good WC), you'd think we can get £20m for him. Money we need to move forward.

End of craic.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:39 am 

Dean Learner wrote:
Some craic about this season then, since it's basically over.

Told you weeks ago, although I was a point off:

Quote:
45 points for us and people wondering why they've been whinging like a fucking arsehole all season Smoke

Said this a million times, imagine if we only signed Dubravka (wey I said a proper GK) and a proper striker in August.

Why would you not just give Rafa full autonomy and let him spend the money as he sees fit, in what World does it make sense to allow Justin Barnes and Keith Bishop any say whatsoever?

With only 12 months left, Rafa now has all the power he is ever going to get, so if it doesn't happen now it never will.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:49 am 
Site Admin

Aye.

I'm not optimistic.

I think we need to spend £20m+ on a striker alone. But maybe we can generate that with Mitrovic's sale if Fulham go up.

I reckon that's how it will end, we'll get his transfer fee and then Ashley will say that's "every penny"

I can't understand it - give him say £50m and you'd be confident that Europa League can be attained - which brings more money in.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:56 am 

Dean Learner wrote:
Aye.

I'm not optimistic.

I think we need to spend £20m+ on a striker alone. But maybe we can generate that with Mitrovic's sale if Fulham go up.

I reckon that's how it will end, we'll get his transfer fee and then Ashley will say that's "every penny"

I can't understand it - give him say £50m and you'd be confident that Europa League can be attained - which brings more money in.
hopefully its the latest rumour of 80m£
and then of course all outgoings to top that (Mitro, Gayle, Mbemba, etc..) could have a chance next season with Rafa..

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:13 pm 
Site Admin

I think the real test is what we do when a bid for Lascelles comes in. I reckon someone will bid.

He has surprised me this season. Had a very underwhelming end to last year in the Championship, but he's improved this year. Dubravka-Lascelles-Lejeune is a solid group at the back.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:33 pm 

I think he's quite happy with the amount of money, it's that he doesn't have autonomy.

He doesn't need a massive budget, he's great at recycling a team and generating funds himself, he'll have already worked out how much he can get for players he wants rid of and will have various players lined up based on different budgets, so he can just crack on.

Problem is as you know, they take a fucking age to make a decision when they don't want to make it, so last year we missed out on the top targets Rafa had lined up personally.

I imagine half of the budget will be pissed away on a striker if he's allowed Smoke

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:26 pm 

Or just go for Balotelli on a free workid lmao and spend money on speedy wingers & Gk

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:52 pm 

Balotelli lmao Would love it but nee chance. He'll be after and get wages we'd never pay.

Benitez no doubt has a striker or two lined up. Then the club will fuck up the deal of course and we'll sign Shola on deadline day.

Page 2 of 2 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2