It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Everything's fair game, don't dish it if you can't take it, and try not to be too much of an idiot. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Great photo
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:10 am 

SJP when it was shit, but better Smoke

Post subject: Re: Great photo
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:43 am 

which way around that is, are these stairs leading down gallowgate end ?

Br, another Stadium sucker

* just realized the whole picture didnt fit my screen and that you could scroll to the right and of course it is banghead huckle

br, another it geek, foia workid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:03 pm 

I'd guess mid-to-late 1960s that pic (going by the cars), maybe very early 70s. Leazes end was tiny when you look at it but the noise it generated could be heard for miles and miles. To us bairns growing up nearby that noise was wor Pied Piper. Except we never got drowned, we got a life sentence of near-perpetual misery instead lmao

All four ends made plenty of noise but The Leazes was the loudest. Leazes and Gallowgate used to exchange chants ('sing in The Leazes' and 'sing in the Gallowgate' etc). Fucking hovel really and plenty absolute heed-the-balls went. Good crack though Smoke

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:55 pm 

Stunning photo Steer. :greetings-clapyellow: Hard to believe near enough 70,000 fans squeezed in their on derby days and fairs cup nights and you're right the noise it generated was incredible. I used to go in the Milburn stand centre paddock as a nipper with me dad then in the leazes when I hit me teens and started going myself. Don't know if it's been reported in England and if it will have any effect but Celtic have been granted "safe standing" areas for certain sections of their ground for selected matches.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:26 am 

Aye GHD it was some place in full voice. This is the best photo I've seen from back then. I got it off Obi's twitter but apparently it's in the ronny, dated 1968. Very evocative for geordies of our vintage at any rate. My (shit at the best of times) memory for actual football detail is hazy at best but the impressions left by those matchdays back in the early-to-mid 70s especially are still strong. With it being empty it's kind of a blank canvas you can fill in with your own memories. It prompted me to look for some daft diaries from when I was a kid which have little bits in about going to the match but I can't find them banghead

I had been taking an interest in the safe standing debate but that has waned lately as the prospect of me ever going again recedes :crying-blue: . So no idea where it stands. In an ideal world I'd definitely buy standing tickets like, you just can't beat it.

Edit: just thought on this has to have been taken from Wellbar House. My best mate's big brother worked there and he got us in to have a gander once.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:01 pm 

This one is also canny

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:21 pm 
Site Admin

Did you used to queue there Steers?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:56 am 

Thats Steers in the middle there with that chubby lass? hugging him

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:27 pm 

Nah those were my college days when I'd taken to dressing like a hippy. I'd have stood out like a sore thumb in that queue :laughing-rolling:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:14 pm 

Before even my time this (taken 1957). Absolutely brilliant pic and a little historical document all on its own. I'm no fan of suits but you have to say the working-class geordies of the '50s generally look smarter and happier than their kids in the '80s photo above lmao

That building back right was a boxing and /or wrestling hall I think I read - don't remember it like.

Wonder if GHD is in this one? :whistle:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:55 am 

lmao

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:56 pm 

1913, FA cup 4th round v the bamps. Doesn't look too difficult to knock in like lmao

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:12 am 

If you could buy these fuckers I'd probably start smoking again Smoke

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:09 pm 

1949 Ronny Gill. I think it was fairly similar to this when I was a paper lad in the early '70s lmao

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:01 pm 

One for GHD (seriously this time :whistle: ). SJP 1969, Fairs Cup semi. Mental by all accounts and I think he might have been there.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:55 pm 

Aye I was there that night Steer and it was one of the scariest matches I've been to. The rangers fans were fucking animals and were out looking to get the match abandoned. They were pissed (literally and metaphorically) because we drew with them at Ibrox (McFaul saved a penalty there) and even on the way to the ground fans were fighting and the police were really struggling to part them - wor lot were no angels either at the time lmao .

There fans were in the Gallowgate end and that's probably the fullest I can remember St James's being. Rangers fans were drinking bottles of buckfast and whisky then pissing in them when they were empty before lobbing them forward. Of course the useless bastards were mostly hitting there own fans :laughing-rolling: but the fans in the corners of the East and West Stands by the Gallowgate were getting the same treatment as well. It was a horrible atmosphere and even though the game was a hugely important semi-final I spent as much time watching the antics of the rangers fans as I did the actual match. We scored and the place just lit up. Can't remember if they invaded the pitch after the first or second goal but once they were on it was an invitation readily accepted by the toon fans and all fucking hell let loose. Police horses and what seemed (at the time) like hundreds of coppers did eventually restore some kind of order although they never got everyone back into their respective ends with lots of fans stood on the old red ash track around the pitch. Rangers fans were throwing coins and bottles (who said scotsmen were tight lmao ) for the remainder of the game. Running battles in the toon after the game with pissed rangers fans.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:41 pm 

Not football-related but there's a fantastic Newcastle Libraries flickr album of about a thousand photos of the Newcastle area taken in the 1960s / 70s by a Hungarian immigrant who lived in the region called Laszlo Torday. Mainly town centre, Heaton and North Shields fish quay. Worth a half hour of any geordie's time.

Link

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:41 pm 
Site Admin

Fucking immigrants, coming here and providing valuable services.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:20 pm 

I see the word 'immigrant' has set off your post-referendum alarm lmao I bet you didn't even look at the photos :whistle:

Start a thread about the politics of immigration, or brexit or some shit and leave this one for photos Smoke

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:49 am 

Great photos Steer. I doubt you are the type to go on Facebook but there are some great groups on there with old NUFC photos, I'll share some when I can be arsed.

The 1914 FA Cup one v the Mackems, how did they not all fall backwards to their deaths off the stands? :confusion-shrug:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:29 pm 

Probably fuck all to blokes who went down the pit or grafted in health & safety-free industrial workplaces every day, went on to fight in one or two world wars, lived through the depression and smoked Capstan Full Strength lmao

Funnily enough I did once set up a (fake) Facebook account for the sole purpose of being able to look at these old local pics as I love this shit. The nostalgic impulse is an unavoidable by-product of getting old :character-oldtimer:

The pre- Eldon Square & central motorway ones most interest me. I saw it all happening around me but was too young to comprehend it. We were all too starstruck by our shiny new shopping centre to worry about the loss of a few dirty old buildings. Got a slightly different view now lmao

As for SJP, it was unquestionably a dump but us owld cunts look at these pics and remember the Leazes Roar, and that was something else Smoke

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:09 pm 

The Football Pink the day Supermac got his home debut hat-trick Smoke Although it doesn't really look very pink in this image lmao

Everybody bought The Pink. They somehow used to manage to get it out for sale all over the town and in the paper shops within an hour of the match finishing, quite impressive really. Always loads of typos in it like and you could tell the match report was sort of three-quarters written during the game with the headline and last bit tacked on hastily at the end lmao The football pools news was almost as important as the scores and match report, what with the pools being the equivalent of the lottery back then (the ideal was eight score draws, giving you the magical 24 points if I remember right). I think they also used to put the late racing results on the back as well.

Usually discarded after a five-minute flick through and frequently found lying round on bus seats or in the pub on a Saturday night. I must have had fish & chips wrapped in The Pink countless times.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:52 pm 
Site Admin

What was the beach drama, Steers?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:00 pm 

Here you go :hi5:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

I used to enjoy trips to Marsden Bay as a bairn, Steers. Camel Island was the tits.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:56 pm 

We usually went Northumberland coast way on days out at the seaside.

Back to topic, here's a mint pic of the old Leazes. It's exactly as it looked when I first went as a bairn. In fact this was my usual view just as I got into the ground (till the 'New' stand replaced the Popular). To us this small, scruffy-looking, dilapidated and sometimes downright dangerous old shed was the centre of the universe on a Saturday afternoon :bow-blue: Smoke

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:09 pm 

The demise of the Pink was totally inevitable but sad nevertheless. My dad still talks of the days that nobody knew the scores from other games until the Pink came out on a Saturday evening. He even says back in the day, if there was a midweek match, you had no way of finding out the score until the following morning.

One memory for me, probably early 90s was being on holiday in France and driving to the highest point around so we could pick up a really crackly signal of Radio 5 for the results at 5pm. I miss those days in a way, all this technology is great but there is something "romantic" about the old days. I actually enjoyed sitting listening to the match last night instead of watching it as I always have in recent years. Felt kind of nostalgic.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:16 pm 

Ramdawg wrote:
The demise of the Pink was totally inevitable but sad nevertheless. My dad still talks of the days that nobody knew the scores from other games until the Pink came out on a Saturday evening. He even says back in the day, if there was a midweek match, you had no way of finding out the score until the following morning.

One memory for me, probably early 90s was being on holiday in France and driving to the highest point around so we could pick up a really crackly signal of Radio 5 for the results at 5pm. I miss those days in a way, all this technology is great but there is something "romantic" about the old days. I actually enjoyed sitting listening to the match last night instead of watching it as I always have in recent years. Felt kind of nostalgic.

Aye largely true, till the advent of Teletext, something else that holds great nostalgia value for older football fans. Think it must have been late 70s / early 80s when it became widely used and relatively comprehensive. Teletext :bow-blue:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:56 pm 

Teletext is great, still have an app in the phone that mimics the teletext, remember all the pagenumbers etc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:13 pm 
Site Admin

MagFinnPie wrote:
Teletext is great, still have an app in the phone that mimics the teletext, remember all the pagenumbers etc

Then you're an idiot.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:56 am 

I remember Saturday afternoons as a bairn when my mam and Grandma would take me to the MetroCentre so I would get left in Dixon's electrical shop and just watch the scores on teletext for a couple of hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:21 pm 

I can just about remember the early Teleprinter days, and seeing the results coming in like this on Final Score:

I.e. the cameraman stood pointing his camera at the Teleprinter while the presenter read the scores out as they were typed through lmao Simpler times.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:45 pm 

MagFinnPie wrote:

I can't remember the page numbers like but I used BBC teletext (Ceefax) every day for years. Football and racing results mainly (I used to bet most days). Was invaluable.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:03 pm 

Your just so old that its understandable that memory is letting you doon, Baker is just Young maccyd student cunt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:45 pm 

Nothing to do with age man. I deliberately jettison useless information in order to leave more room for alcohol Smoke

Page 1 of 2 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next