Films & Telly thread (formerly Will Ferrell etc)

All the craic
Forum rules
Everything's fair game, don't dish it if you can't take it, and try not to be too much of an idiot. Thanks.
Dean Learner
Site Admin

Re: Films & Telly thread (formerly Will Ferrell etc)

Post by Dean Learner » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:04 am

S5 is awful. The latest episode was just pointless. Nowhere to go without Ragnar. I think it's not being renewed.

Steeronymus Gerkin

Post by Steeronymus Gerkin » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:54 pm

Sixth series was recently confirmed, also confirmed that will be its lot.

But aye, it's lost its way. Think it misses Ragnar/Fimmel's charisma more than anything, while Ivar is poorly conceived and poorly cast. I fear 6 is likely to be a lot more of Ivar's evil doings and the actor's cringeworthy petulant scowls and snarls. I'll still watch it though and hope for better.
What a goal! Ben Arfa beats three men, one of them twice, and unleashes an absolute thunderbastard from close range!

Steeronymus Gerkin

Post by Steeronymus Gerkin » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:26 pm

I've started then dropped about ten series recently huckle I did quite like Westworld S1 though, Ed Harris is excellent as usual. Also looking forward to the Deadwood film which can't be too far off. Wish there was some news on Masters of the Air as well, which seems to be taking an age to come together.

Going to re-watch Thrones soon, timing the end of S7 with the start of S8. As it's going to be fucking impossible to avoid spoilers when it's over I'm going to bite the bullet and get Now tv for a couple of months when it starts. I'd rather have just waited for the blu ray release like but, as I say, no chance of avoiding knowledge of the outcome for a few months.

I did recently watch and enjoy the 4k version of Apollo 13. Ed Harris is also great in this (as he is in The Right Stuff, another film I like a lot). I was obsessed with the Apollo stuff as a kid mind so I'm biased.
What a goal! Ben Arfa beats three men, one of them twice, and unleashes an absolute thunderbastard from close range!

Dean Learner
Site Admin

Post by Dean Learner » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:42 pm

I'd actually like it to come full circle and focus back on the history element. It's a History Channel production after all. The first season was quite educational from a historical perspective, although they've obviously freestyle'd and adapted it, but the key characters are all loosely in Nordic history, just at different times. Felt like we went away from that in the last season, asides from perhaps the Iceland discovery and settling (although Christ, that storyline was tediously boring).

It'd be a nice way to tie it up - show them settling in East Anglia and maybe tie up the future of how Scandinavia was governed. It's better than all this Ivar stuff against his brothers.

Steeronymus Gerkin

Post by Steeronymus Gerkin » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:52 pm

I'm not overly bothered by whether or not it's historically accurate myself. History channel or no it's drama, and S5 too often fails on that score. Meh, will watch 6 anyway but no high hopes for it. I do see Michael Hirst is going to be working with Scorcese on a new venture for the History channel centred on the Caesars. Hope they get that right as it sounds like it could be something special.

Tried the first series of The Tudors recently. Watchable but not really my thing. Soapy and awash with gratuitous, sweaty courtly rompings (yawn). Even the political shenanigans too often feel more shallow and gossipy than intriguing. Shame as it's a great cast, largely wasted in this so far. Some say it improves later so I'll give S2 a go I suppose.

Thrones tomorrow. This must be the most looked-forward to series of telly of all time surely? Imagine if, after all this success and all the fuss leading up to it, they completely fuck up the last one lmao

Dean Learner
Site Admin

Post by Dean Learner » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:57 pm

20% they fuck it up, S7 was their first one without books to go by and it was incredibly rushed in terms of people being half way across continents within an episode.

In hindsight they wasted far too much time with shit like Reek's torture and Arya's training.

It must be the last TV show of this size where everyone will watch at (roughly) the same time...with everything these days on Netflix to binge, not sure we'll see shows like this again.

Steeronymus Gerkin

Post by Steeronymus Gerkin » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:43 pm

Dean Learner wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:57 pm
20% they fuck it up, S7 was their first one without books to go by and it was incredibly rushed in terms of people being half way across continents within an episode.

In hindsight they wasted far too much time with shit like Reek's torture and Arya's training.

It must be the last TV show of this size where everyone will watch at (roughly) the same time...with everything these days on Netflix to binge, not sure we'll see shows like this again.
Agree with both for sure but at the same time whilst these plotlines weren't as good as most of the other things in the show they were still pretty good in comparison to most of the light entertainment currently on offer on Netflx, Prime etc. There is so much utter shit being broadcast that even a sub-par Thrones (like 5 or in places 7) is still miles better than the rest.

Despite the hypothetical I hoyed up ^ I am looking forward to watching it. I hope it's not too action-heavy though. Got a feeling it might be the way they are telegraphing it like.