It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Everything's fair game, don't dish it if you can't take it, and try not to be too much of an idiot. Thanks.

Page 3 of 3 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: World Cup 2018
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:27 am 

Canny Smoke

Now comes the real big decision for the gaffer. Do I shut me shop early on Saturday? :think:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:49 am 

Fucking rights do you :banana-dance:

We're at a BBQ Saturday night, the wives are not going to be impressed by their husbands I'm predicting :banana-jumprope:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:06 am 

Canny day for a BBQ. I didn't shut in the end - big refrigeration problem (this bastard heat is hard on fridges) which took the engineer hours so no point. Rigged a telly up instead.

Fuck me, semi-final. No injuries or suspensions and the bookies make us favourites. I thought the best thing about yesterday was that the players showed no fear at all. Hope they're all thinking this is great, I want more of it.

Hoo Scott, can I have a name change to Marauding Tin of Corned Beef please Smoke

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:32 pm 

lmao lmao

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:37 am 

TMTOCBORS has been fucking awesome, head like a bastard microwave, bosh :banana-blonde:

Think him, Stones and Trippier have been the stars of this team actually, everyone expected the attacking players to take the plaudits, it's our ball playing defenders instead Smoke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:45 am 

I'd go along with those three like. If Trippier was Brazilian he'd be close to favourite for the golden ball I bet. At best only one of them would have gone under FSA as well. Or me to be honest like lmao

Thinking about cashing my France bet in soon actually. It's probably the wrong play betting-wise but I don't want a slight conflict of interest should we make the final. I'd have said this is one of the most enjoyable world cups I've ever seen without the England story; even better with it though, whatever happens Smoke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:51 pm 

Same three for me as well, Trippier especially.

If Sterling could finish his dinner he'd be the best player in the tournament. Brilliant at finding himself space, practically melts through defenders but he has the decision making ability and composure of a broke crack head.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:53 pm 

Shezza doesn't like the shape and his favourite Stones moment was when he gave the ball away.

I'm sure I sat in front of his fatha that time we beat Blackburn at home 6-2 over Easter and he asked me why I was so happy as if they had scored in the 20th minute it would have been a different score line, fucking arsehole Smoke

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:36 pm 

He must have been owa the moon at the 0-1 Manure game, going home thinking it should have been 18-1 to us lmao

Looking forward to tonight like. Don't see why it won't be a good game - in this tournament, games that have promised to be good usually have been. I reckon France win this six or seven times out of ten so I'll let my bet run. Might easily be one of the three or four when Belgium win like.

If France get to the final and play us I'll cash out. If they win and play Croatia I'll leave it. If they lose to Belgium I've done my money so they're useless, bottling French cunts Smoke

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:46 am 

Wasn't a classic last night but still a good game I thought. Mbappe is a fucking freak - he's at full, blistering pace on his second stride, ridiculous.

Here we gan then, probably 50/50 tonight I'd say. Think I've watched every Croatia game so far. It's not for nowt so many people are going on about Rakitic and Modric like, great pair. Modric has predictably been outstanding at times - second half v Russia he was especially brilliant, carried them I thought. That Rebic can be a handful as well. But we've got plenty to worry them and I don't buy this 'not scoring from open play' stuff people are peddling either. We've not put enough away maybe but we've created plenty chances. Keep a lid on Modric, win loads of corners and free kicks (likely, as they're pretty physical), bobs your uncle. Possibly lmao Smoke

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:05 am 

Bastard, thought we were gonna do it, feels like a missed opportunity but proud of what they've done and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Hope France lose now I didn't back the cunts lmao

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:05 am 

1 Malooga 4 Lugas wrote:
Bastard, thought we were gonna do it, feels like a missed opportunity but proud of what they've done and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Hope France lose now I didn't back the cunts lmao

lmao :naughty: :snooty:

Aye bastard is the word. Think it is both a great tournament and a missed opportunity. It was right there for the taking.

A combination of things went wrong second-half / extra time but meh, already sick of the analysis. Canny while it lasted, well done to them all. And I like my chances for a nice consolation prize on Sunday despite you trying to jinx it Smoke

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:28 am 

My twitter timeline and WhatsApp were full of the wankers who were silent while we were doing well, but pipe up as soon as they get what they want and we go out, bad nonces.

Roy Keane's comments about Stones and England fans giving them particular delight, he was wrong, he expects perfection and the highest of standards and that is his greatest problem and why he's a failed manager. You cannot expect rookies to have the same level of professionalism as Maldini, as for the lazy "switched off" "should smell danger" "he's expecting a shout in a World Cup semi-final, you don't get shouts in a WC semi- final", "all you England fans were looking ahead to the final".

So much lazy, cliched bollocks and blaming us for daring to dream, because these youngsters allowed us to? Fuck off man. Not only was Stones not to blame (he stepped up, following Walker's line, if Maguire did the same, Mandzukic is offside...not to mention the shit clearance, the push, Maguire letting him run in behind Stones before the ball bounced off the top of Perisic's Tobelerone ...) for the goal, how the fuck would he be aware in semi finals of the World Cup your team mates won't give you that shout workid

Bastards, in a competition where all the cliched, know nothing wanks, lost their big named players and teams, our young, naive team you expected nothing from went and got to the semi-finals and you couldn't wait for them to trip up, as you hoped and expected all along, fair enough for the Scots, bitter ginger bastards, but if you're English that is just plain weird.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:42 am 

Didn't watch for long after the end but I had talksport on in the van this morning and heard a few laying into the players and Southgate like, fucking wankers. Surely the only sensible starting point is that they've exceeded all expectations and anything else has to be in that context? But no, most of what I'm hearing at work and reading is just pissing and moaning for the sake of it.

Think you're spot on about Keane and the perfectionism thing as well. He's also deeply bitter, misanthropic and seems to have this need to be contrarian regardless of what's being said. I've got no time for him at all. Speaking of punditry, some of it has been very decent - Lineker as the anchor is just a consummate pro these days, Gary Neville is top notch, Ferdinand has surprised me with how good he is and I thought Fabregas was excellent the few times he was on. The Beeb has blown ITV out of the water in the coverage stakes mind.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:26 pm 

Well that's how you'd expect people to see it, but no, we've been beaten by the first decent team we've played (by decent they mean the big names they know and recognise, forgetting our opponents have seen them off) apparently and they told you so, they also told Southgate which subs he should have made and which team changes he should have made, if only he'd listened Essex

For all the good, there's bad and Neville is no different. He's great when he has time and dissects play to show mistakes on his big, massive, fuck off touch screen but he's been contrarian for the sake of it too, likewise Lee Dixon who I like, citing Pickford using his wrong hand when he didn't. Every goal doesn't mean there's a howler, yes they might do something differently in future (it comes with experience), but some times great movement, a great piece of skill, a rocket from distance into the top corner, a well worked set piece can mean a goal doesn't need a scapegoat, a loss doesn't mean you know more than the fucking Manager, you absolute fucking spastic.

Then there's the Hoddle "that was ball of the tournament" - resulted in no goal, not even a shot...Danny Murphy "How is that not a free kick from Giroud's tackle" - three replays show him winning the ball.

I'll remember this World Cup for uniting us all against the media, hoping their scapegoat Sterling does well, appreciating all he does for the team when the idiots continue to tell us he hasn't scored. Willing these young, unassuming kids without the egos or status of their predecessors to bring it home and you know what, they gave it a good fucking go, which is all I ever ask. They had the Scots, Welsh, Irish and the English absolute fucking weirdos who want us to fail, hiding in their caves for longer than any World Cup since Gazza's tears, for that they deserve our continued support.

Well done young lions, fuck the negativity, you did us proud and next time we'll have the likes of Phil Foden to dictate from midfield Smoke

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:57 pm 

That "Football is coming home" bs made me more of of fan of any team you played against lmao

No Newcastle players meant that there's only players from clubs I hate Smoke

But I think it went like the first proper team and you're out, but good for you getting that penalty hoodoo out of the system, don't think it was/is playing wise overachieving, but result wise (spud luck) definatly so, bronze still possible :banana-blonde:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:19 am 

Football's coming home is a mint song and it was used tongue in cheek, it grew as it pissed more people off Smoke

First proper team? Get fucked man, like you would have given a team with Pickford, Trippier, Maguire, Stones, Henderson, Lingard, Dier a hope in fucking hell's chance. Columbia qualified ahead of Chile, Sweden saw off the impressive Mexico and the fancied Germany, if we'd beaten those worse teams, but bigger names it would have impressed stupid people more?

The great thing about this World Cup has been all the poster boys failing, all the big names getting dumped on their arses and a team once more being more important than a name. Who the fuck watches enough International football to have a clue who is good? Belgium are the hipster's favourites, all those names doing fuck all every tournament, tipped by every dickhead going...along with Spain.

Fuck bronze, fuck igloos, fuck shagging snowballs, its coming home...one day :banana-linedance:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:50 am 

Naysayers were using the 'first proper team' argument before we played Colombia, who were ranked 4 places higher than Croatia at the start of the tournament as well by the way. Also, if Sweden aren't a 'proper team' how come they qualified above Holland and beat Italy to get there? They also got out of the group at Germany's expense and beat Switzerland - Brazil couldn't.

If England had beat Croatia which they easily might have, the same people would be saying France are the first 'proper team' we'd played. And of course it's 'overachieving' (despite your spurious 'playing-wise/results-wise' nonsense to suit your argument lmao ). We've 'achieved' last four, better than the vast majority of people expected. That's overachieving by definition man.

Can't say I'm a fan of that song though. Vindaloo for me Smoke

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:35 am 

Think those labelling themselves voice of reason and realists, base their entire stupidity on Fifa rankings, which says it all.

Like Vindaloo too as it goes Smoke

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:52 am 

I'm using the FIFA ranking for Colombia opportunistically, as it happens to suit my case here Smoke They're mostly a load of old twaddle really.

Tongue in cheek or not, I was sick to the back teeth of hearing that fucking song lmao Only upside of getting beat is it's stopped being played Smoke Both songs are really a load of luvvies jumping on the football bandwagon and probably making a canny old wedge off it :whistle:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:50 pm 

Will forever remind me of Euro 96, I was 18, just started out drinking in town (legally) and we got late bar opening, a great atmosphere and the team went so, so close, Gazza's studs from something special, loved every minute of it Smoke :banana-dance:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:56 pm 

It was fucking mint, SJP getting games being the icing on the cake. I lived on the Quayside at the time, never in the house, soaked up every minute of it I could Smoke

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:53 pm 

Tongue in cheek is fine, many was singing with stupid arrogance which made it awful and I don't have your memory lane stuff making it precious for me

Sweden isnt my cup of tea for some reason lmao and don't consider it very top team, no top individuals, but like said said 3-4 is very good result, but playing wise I'm not impressed, have some "best in the planet" in team.. got the easy route and top teams lost, that's the cup magic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

That's Thoros of Myr in the Vindaloo music video, Steers.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:28 am 

MagFinnPie wrote:
Tongue in cheek is fine, many was singing with stupid arrogance which made it awful and I don't have your memory lane stuff making it precious for me

Where were you hearing the song so often then Finny? Was it because you were watching / listening to UK-based coverage or something? I can't see why anyone else would be bothering with it.

I thought it was the scotch that had viking in them not the other way around by the way :whistle:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:52 pm 

Twitter,fb (rammy, simmas, Jimmy, baldy, gaz,akin lmao) and UK papers mostly

And it's you to blame also, youve taught me during the years to hate the biased southern media lmao

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:19 am 

lmao

I thought as much. So you're a sort of anglophobic anglophile :whistle:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:58 pm 

Steeronymus Gerkin wrote:
It was fucking mint, SJP getting games being the icing on the cake. I lived on the Quayside at the time, never in the house, soaked up every minute of it I could Smoke

In the summer of 96 there's a good chance I was violently sick on your doorstep Smoke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:22 pm 

I fell arse over tit through my front door many a night, so I'd not have noticed Smoke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

Cockney Jim lived in a garage in 96.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:24 pm 

Cockney Jim's garage was probably better than one of the places I lived in when I was a skint student. And I'd have killed for a 37p steak in those days Smoke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:13 pm 
Site Admin

Got some bread rolls for 1p the other day, but couldn't be arsed to upload the pic.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:58 am 

Stale bread is not my thing but I can do you a canny price on some German smart hoverboards I picked up yesterday. Selling for 440 euros online, a steal ( :whistle: ) at £100 Smoke

Page 3 of 3 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3