It is currently Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Everything's fair game, don't dish it if you can't take it, and try not to be too much of an idiot. Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: World Cup 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:45 pm 

Might as well have a thread.

Despite all the corruption behind who got this one and the next, I still can't help looking forward to the World Cup. Always do, along with the Euros. I usually have a decent bet on the winner market as well as all sorts of daft ones as it's going on. I've watched so little football the last couple of years though I haven't got a clue who to back. So who's going to win? Smoke

Post subject: Re: World Cup 2018
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:53 am 
Site Admin

This is the first ever World Cup where I am not nearly excited for it much and it's only next month. Not sure why - uninteresting host country, not doing the sticker album (80p a pack or something mental), who knows. Maybe I'll get hyped soon, but hasn't happened so far.

You've got to fancy Germany I'd have thought. They've left players like Gotze and Schurrle out their squad such is their depth.

I don't have any expectations for England, just hope they have a young team that plays to the best of their ability and shows commitment to a long term plan. I think on paper we have tremendous talent going forward - Kane and Vardy, Alli and Sterling, just not convinced about center mid and the center backs. Making the quarters would be a good World Cup, I think.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:42 am 

I'd gan for France if they weren't likely to implode as usual, but Germany looks strong as do Brazil, Spain probably one too many.

Be nice to see Messi finally do something at the World Cup and end the Maradona debate.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:07 am 

I backed Germany last time and had a lovely bet up. Came in pissed after the final and managed to spill a tin of paint. Ruined a carpet that cost me half the winnings to replace lmao :doh:

I've watched a little bit of German football but I put myself off them a bit as I didn't think much of their striker options. I remember ages ago backing Gomez for top scorer once and he was fucking kenk. This Werner from Leipzig looks like he's coming on mind from his numbers but I think I've only seen him the once. I also remember reading a cracking article pre-2014 about the Germans preparations for Brazil and it was unbelievable. The planning, detail and scope of the whole project was something else. Hmm. Think I'll read a few previews and shit and see if any pundit is making a good case for someone anyway.

By the way, didn't you get player of the tournament right one time at a big price? I'm sure I remember a nice little win copying that bet.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:01 am 

My memory isn't what it once was thanks to a decade of sleep deprivation and my mind deciding that football isn't as important as boring stuff like tax...but I remember you copying my Woodgate MOTM in the league cup final bet, was that not it?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:10 am 

My memory being worse than yours, aye it could have been and I do remember the Woodgate bet now you mention it. Was it not you who tipped Iniesta for player of the tournament in the Euros? Fuck knows, might have been someone on F365. I know I had a small win on that though and I doubt I thought of it myself lmao

Another bet I remember was 2006 when I stuck £500 on Argentina pre-tournament. Thankfully for me, they won their second group match 6-0 and shortened right up in the odds. I took the precaution of laying a lump of it back to be in a no-lose position, or I'd have lost the lot. That was a massive stroke of luck.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:27 am 

Given I couldn't remember who won it, I don't think it was me like, but I leave SJP these days not remembering stuff lmao

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:13 pm 

Welcome to my world lmao

First bet's on. Groups ABCDEF winners - Uruguay, Spain, France, Argies, Brazil, Jormans 11/1. They all look knocking bets to me like. But I've made money disappear having had the same thought many times before Smoke

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:40 pm 

Thank God its online nowadays, i think you 2 would forget having betting slips .. lmao

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:47 am 

I do bet online like but as often as not I go to the betting shop myself. Like to avoid spending money online as often as I possibly can :whistle:

Betting slips gan in the safe. I love my safe. It's ancient, muckle and indestructible Smoke

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:03 am 

I've given up betting as I don't follow football enough these days and if I put stuff in my safe it'll end up getting thrown out with the christmas tree and all the other shit in there that's never been out since I moved in 4 years ago Smoke

We did bet on the Grand National for the first time in a few years and got the winner and an e/w so still beating the mugs overall :banana-blonde:

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:49 pm 

I do love the handwritten slips you have there, feels so different than money pouring away online

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:47 am 

Sané cut from the Germany squad :shock:

Inclining towards Brazil for me bet, 9/2 is a shit price like huckle Looking at the fixtures and what games I'll watch and I find not having Holland and Italy in there just doesn't seem right, especially when you've got waste of space teams like Saudi Arabia and Panama knocking about. Bollocks to inclusivity Smoke

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:40 pm 

Aye, Panama, Iran, Saudis should be replaced with propa footballing nations like Italy, Dutchies and Finnmongs Smoke

I've put Brasil initially to win in betting at work

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:08 pm 

I picked up The Times :puke-front: yesterday just for the World Cup supplement and thought their schedule layout was the handiest I'd seen. Makes the route to the final and various quarters and semis permutations nice and easy to see. Scanned it as I'm nice like that Smoke

Edit: actually, the The Telegraph's Predictor is better. I got a Brazil v Spain final.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:30 pm 
Site Admin

Canny. I tend to use spreadsheets these days. Here's a good one: http://www.excely.com/download/world_cup_2018.xlsx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:34 am 

I got this :whistle: No idea why my computer opened it with notepad like.

Image lmao

Bollocks to spreadsheets anyway. Click and view is what I'm after Smoke

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:29 am 

Gone off Spain a bit this morning. Unbelievable lmao :doh:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:37 am 
Site Admin

Aye

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:44 pm 

Can’t believe this forum is still here....still beats that loony bin which is The Mag lmao

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:45 am 

Some absolute no-hopers getting hammered is a great start to a World Cup like. Another ten Saudi Arabias from 2026 when it goes to 48 teams, woohoo. Portugal Spain ought to be better tonight, as long as it doesn't turn into a diving contest. Germany Mexico on Sunday should be canny as well.

Backed Brazil in the end, no strong fancy really though. Was going to save on Spain but left it alone after the manager fiasco. Small bet on Iniesta for golden ball and various accys on groups and early matches. Spent too much already :whistle:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:24 am 

I'm oot tonight so will miss Spain v Portugal, hopefully Steve Harper keeps me amused instead Smoke

Not had a bet but like the look of France, if the youngsters can turn it on and stop fighting each other for 5 minutes.

Fancy Neymar to light this fucker up (shit group) but really hoping Messi does (shit group) at last at a major tournament.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:33 pm 

That was a proper classic. Some world class finishing, a howler from the keeper and Ronaldo single handedly forcing a draw. Best game I've seen in ages :greetings-clapyellow:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:19 am 

Aye cracking match alright. A few more like that please World Cup.

Might catch half of Peru Denmark and all of the Croatia game later. Croatia might be canny to watch actually, no idea about Nigeria.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:49 pm 

1 Malooga 4 Lugas wrote:

Fancy Neymar to light this fucker up (shit group) but really hoping Messi does (shit group) at last at a major tournament.

Argentina Group shit :shock:
Thought it was one of the most difficult for top seeded countries

No pushovers in the group like Panama (and Iran lmao)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:16 pm 

Smoke He is not Maradona
Im forever Argentina since El Diego, but no fan of Messi.. :banana-blonde:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:35 am 

Aye the preening Ronaldo wins the first round.

Looking forward to today's matches. The Jerries are my 'second team' in the big tournaments these days, although they've been poor in their warm-up games apparently and Mexico are usually decent. Harlem Globetrotters tonight featuring Neymar & co, so we'll see if all the Brazil hype is justified. Mint having football in summer it is Smoke

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:48 am 

Might ask for a refund lmao I'll probably lay for a small loss later.

Didn't see the France or Argentina games but of the big teams I'd say Spain look the best so far. Of the rest Croatia looked canny but Nigeria were shite so probably doesn't mean that much. Germany were pedestrian and wide open at times, Brazil looked toothless for all the firepower. Didn't expect that. Neymar's injured as well apparently.

Edit: Backed Brazil at 9/2 on Betfred the other day, laid at 5.4 on Betfair today so I'm actually on the right side. Thought Brazil would have drifted further after yesterday. Anyway, I can't fancy them after watching that. Early days like but I'm content to get my £200 back.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:12 am 

MagFinnPie wrote:

Argentina Group shit :shock:
Thought it was one of the most difficult for top seeded countries

No pushovers in the group like Panama (and Iran lmao)[/quote]

Nigeria and Iceland are wank man.

Typical I miss the best game, thoroughly enjoyed Methico yesterday like, they were excellent Smoke

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:40 am 

Aye, forgot to mention them they were great to watch. Peru were canny as well although they got beat. That Guerrero of theirs looks like a proper street villain. Got off a cocaine ban, said it was down to some dodgy tea he'd drank lmao

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:09 am 
Site Admin

Swimming pools drank

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:16 pm 

Why is it so many England games in these tournaments drive you mental? lmao Relief at the end thank fuck and we played well overall I'd say.

Please don't fuck it up v Panama.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:16 pm 
Site Admin

Not convinced about the shape tbh, but if we can improve against Panama and go from strength to strength we can go into the knockout with some chance.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:21 pm 

Thought the same 3CBs and Henderson.. wtf?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:54 am 

I like the shape and despite thinking Henderson is wank, he had a good game on Monday.

We could have won three games in the first half had we put the chances away, we created chances for fun against a team Spain struggled to, other than convert the chances, we were excellent.

Page 1 of 3 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next