It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Everything's fair game, don't dish it if you can't take it, and try not to be too much of an idiot. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Films & Telly thread (formerly Will Ferrell etc)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:21 pm 

Peaky Blinders is my next port of call after Vikings as I like the look of it. Also, I award you severalteen internet points for using the term 'series' rather than 'season' Smoke

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:35 pm 

English innit Smoke

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:40 am 

Rammy, so Peaky Blinders was good??
never mind what S Smoke lmao

any of the ones i listed up your ally ?
need to download something to watch for non-wifi time, wouldnt want to waste it by something i dont like..

cheers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:20 pm 

Nevermind, watched first "series" aleeady, hooked , i think i have to look another one for the holidays, only 3s *6e lmao

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:31 pm 

MagFinnPie wrote:
Rammy, so Peaky Blinders was good??
never mind what S Smoke lmao

any of the ones i listed up your ally?

Can't say I've seen any. Don't watch loads. Breaking Bad, GOT, Blacklist, Homeland and Dexter (well about half of it), are the only American box sets I've really got into.

Peaky Blinders is class like. 6 episodes per series is just the BBC way, as it was with their great comedies, Fawlty Towers, The Office, I'm Alan Partridge and The League of Gentlemen. On that note, I doubt there will be anything better on TV over the whole festive period than the League of Gentlemen mini-series. 2 episodes so far have been brilliant, although only if you watched it previously and know the characters. Booked tickets for the upcoming live tour on the back of it. :banana-linedance:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:17 pm 

Ramdawg wrote:
Peaky Blinders is class like. 6 episodes per series is just the BBC way, as it was with their great comedies, Fawlty Towers, The Office, I'm Alan Partridge and The League of Gentlemen.

But that's also why Dave is so repetitive Smoke

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:46 pm 

Cheers for the Vikings recommndation Scott. Just finished the fourth and I upgrade my rating from canny to very good. I generally like the acting, the casting is brilliant, the scripts are really well written and above all who knew Son of Ken Barlow was such a good actor? lmao He's excellent in this.

Not so much a fan of Peaky Blinders so won't be pursuing that. I'll go back to watch Vikings five when it's all done and try something else in the meantime.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:16 pm 
Site Admin

Vikings five is awful so far lmao lmao

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:35 pm 

Fucking spoilers :naughty:

Others say the opposite. I'll see for myself in due course. Will try one of Scott's other suggestions next, maybe The Last Kingdom.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:33 am 

Just started last kingdom, seems good

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:39 pm 

groundhogdaze wrote:
Try Son's Of Anarchy if you haven't seen it steer. It's about hells angel's in the states. If you can ignore the bad Irish accents and a couple of crap episodes in the 2nd series it's worth a look.

Sons of Anarchy is pure American cheese but I enjoyed it. Made by the same bloke who did "The Shield" which is also mint.

Charlie Hunnam (the main actor and star of that fucking terrible Guy Ritchie King Arthur abortion of a film if you're not sure) was born in Newcastle too as I recently found out. Plus Ron Perlman is always worth watching.

That said Steers, Last Kingdom is a good next choice. I was very sceptical at their choice for lead actor (often the way when book characters are brought to the screen) but he's done a cracking job.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:11 am 

Could have swore I put another post in here :think: Must have been editing while pissed again and fucked up :whistle:

I've had another go at Game of Thrones. Warming to it now (even Sean Bean), just about to finish the first series.

Seeing accomplished, stalwart actors like James Cosmo and Peter Vaughan is a nice surprise. I first saw Cosmo in The Sweeney early '70s playing a hard-nosed Glaswegian copper, and I've seen the wonderful Peter Vaughan in any amount of things. I keep having to rewind though as there's so many fucking things going on I forget what's what, who's who and where's where. Nothing at all to do with the alcohol I drink while watching either :whistle: Smoke

I watched The Last Kingdom 1 & 2. Enjoyed it and will keep watching but on the whole I like Vikings 1-4 better. The lead in TLK is competent I suppose, but fairly flat and nowhere near as engaging as Vikings' Travis Fimmel, who plays Ragnar with a dash of charisma and, equally importantly, a sense of humour. I doubt Fimmel is a 'great' actor but he's well-directed, Ragnar fits him nicely and he does it very well. Vikings also has jester / fool Floki and the seer, both stand-out characters and brilliantly done by their actors. I think Hirst handles both very well, making fool and seer both useful dramatic devices and, at least in Floki's case, fully fleshed-out character at the same time (same goes for Athelstan in a way actually). And Skarsgard is a right scene-stealer at times lmao Above all I think the main difference is in characterisation. Vikings main characters are more interesting and better rounded than those in TLK. I neither know nor care which of the two shows is the more authentic historically Smoke

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:46 pm 

Steeronymus Gerkin wrote:
I neither know nor care which of the two shows is the more authentic historically Smoke

So you were pissed back then too ? Or Dementia affecting?

lmao lmao Smoke

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:53 pm 

Assuming I could have wielded an axe proficiently, I'd have enjoyed the Viking lifestyle - I'd have managed the hard-drinking and pillaging bit no bother, and paganism seems a much more attractive illusion than Christianity Smoke

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:36 pm 

Steeronymus Gerkin wrote:
Above all I think the main difference is in characterisation. Vikings main characters are more interesting and better rounded than those in TLK. I neither know nor care which of the two shows is the more authentic historically Smoke

The mistake in TLK is trying to condense two or three books into one season, that knocks the pacing off a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:38 am 
Site Admin

Floki is raker.

Vikings 5 is horrendous. Just about got through the ten episodes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:29 am 

Not watched 5 yet but I was thinking after the fourth another long series might be stretching it a bit. Hirst's writing was very impressive across the first three and I think up to that point the use of a single (talented) writer was a real positive. It always feels consistent, purposeful and evenly-paced. Hirst was in total control of his material and he has the lucky facility of being a fine phrasemaker (something often overlooked when people talk about writing).

Fourth series was still great but I thought the strain of doing so much to a tight schedule was starting to show at times. Then when the abysmal Heahmund turned up towards the end my first thought was this might be going to turn to shit. He looks like a 21st century hipster time-warped in and the actor is an appalling try-hard 'look-at-me' twat. Just all wrong in every way. Five also has to carry the loss of the shows central focus plus Ecbert's gone, Helga's gone, they seem to have lost their way with Bjorn and Rollo went awol ages ago. Doesn't augur well and leaves them a lot to do.

Page 2 of 2 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2